You don’t have to look any other site for great daily motivational wise quotes and proverbs about life. You are at the right place. This post is centered on wise sayings from great people across the world. They both ancient and modern proverbs and cuts across the whole world.
Follow these sub-heads
69 Motivational Proverbs for the Day
72 Thought Provoking Proverbs about Life
54 Inspirational Proverbs on Lifestyles and Relationship
59 Inspirational African Proverbs
Starting with the initial one
69 Motivational Proverbs for the Day
- Penny wise, pound foolish. Meaning: in sparing small things, you might lose big things.
- The arrival of a baby is surrounded by pains. Meaning: happiness is sometimes provided by pains.
- One good turn deserves another. Meaning: A good thing reciprocates.
- When you are on the back of a horse, remember those who cannot ride donkeys. Meaning: the privileged should remember the less privileged.
- The mice cannot play when the cat is around. Meaning: the presence of a king also serves as deterrent to the slaves.
- A willful waste of time gives a woeful end. Meaning: a time not properly utilized results in regrets.
- Uneasy lays the head that wears the crown. Meaning: the most successful person sometimes gets failure unexpected.
- A little drop of water makes a mighty ocean. Meaning: a gradual sowing leads to reaping bountifully.
- A known devil is better than an unknown angel. Meaning: he who admits himself as a sinner and needed repentance is better than the one who calls himself righteous and yet he is not.
- A hazy climber often gets a sudden fall. Meaning: an unorganized person mostly gets failure unexpectedly.
- When the first frog falls into a pit, the others will take caution. Meaning: seeing the cause of death, others will prevent themselves from the same calamity.
- An animal that was once caught in a trap will see a bent stick and run away. Meaning: a person who had experience a downfall will try to avoid similar experience.
- A cooking pot for the chameleon is also a cooking pot for the lizard. Meaning: everyone should be treated equally.
- The ruins of a land and its people begin in their homes. Meaning: the bad character displayed by an individual is due to lack of home training.
- When rain falls on the leopard, It does not wash off the spots. Meaning: the fact that one is in a deep problem does not stop him from doing what he is supposed to do.
- The moon moves slowly but by dawn, it has crossed the sky. Meaning: a gradual procedure brings about great achievements.
- The horns cannot be heavy to a cow. Meaning: you are equal to your problems.
- You can’t tell which lizard is suffering from stomach ache because all do lie prostrate on the ground. Meaning: you can’t tell what people do by their looks.
- The thing that will kill a dog will first kill its ability to smell. Meaning: he that is working towards doom forgets cautions.
- The mouth and nose are too close to be enemies. Meaning: some people are too close to separate.
- The secret of the owls should not be made known in daylight. Meaning: not all plans should be made known to everybody.
- Old age does things to man. Meaning: the mentality of perfect reasoning diminishes as one grows older.
- It’s only a sick person that thinks that suspicion is wisdom. Meaning: a fool accepts a wrong idea as a good idea.
- The hyena flirts with the hen, the hen don’t know that death is coming. Meaning: dangerous things might appear pleasant at the beginning.
- The goat that it own by many people definitely die on the rope. Meaning: leaving the responsibility of everyone to a single person can quench the responsibility.
- Two rams cannot drink from the same bucket at a time. They will lock horns. Meaning: one cannot serve two masters at a time.
- If wishes were horses, beggars will ride also. Meaning: if wants always become true, the least will benefit greatly.
- The dew of life will soak any man who rises too early in the morning. Meaning: one who causes trouble easily may be stricken of death easily.
- An eagle doesn’t go to the market for anything. Meaning: nothing just happen without a reason.
- The monkey and gorilla may claim to be one, but the monkey is monkey and the gorilla is gorilla. Meaning: naturally things may look alike but they differ in a lot of characteristics.
- Advice is the second mother to a child. Meaning, for you to be successful you need good advice.
- The cockroach cannot be innocent in the gathering of the fowl; neither can the fowl be chairman in the midst of the hawk. Meaning: no one is considered innocent when his enemy is the judge.
- A Bush does not sway unless there is wind. Meaning: things happened for a reason.
- The butterfly thinks it’s a bird. Meaning: the ignorant is wise in his own sight. #RuleyourworldClick To Tweet
- Blood is thicker than water. Meaning: in terms of compares, naturally, certain people are superior to others.
- The toad likes water but not when the water is boiling. Meaning: good condition is appreciated by all but not when you are in a bad situation.
- The snail may try but it cannot cast off its shell. Meaning: some things are difficult to overcome.
- When the cock fails to win the duck in a race, it flies above the duck. Meaning: when you try something and it doesn’t work, try an alternative, you will likely get a better result.
- Fire is a good servant but bad master. Meaning: some things may appear good but destructive.
- Instead of the rat to take the snake for meat, the snake will rather do same. Meaning: the timid cannot overcome the fearless.
- When you give rope to a fool, he will hang himself. Meaning: a foolish person always uses things to his disadvantage.
- He who has no hands should not expect a bag. Meaning: don’t work above your capacity.
- It takes a lion heart to survive in the forest of doom. Meaning: for a man to survive the evil day, he needs divine courage.
- The witch or wizard that caused the rain to fall should not fear the thunderstorms that follow. Meaning: anyone who causes trouble must be prepared to face the consequences.
- The best way to eat an elephant is to cut it into pieces. Meaning: the best way to solve a problem is to solve it bit by bit.
- The eagles cannot gather in a lion’s den. Meaning: don’t contend with an enemy you can’t overcome.
- He who does not know one thing knows another. Meaning: no one knows everything but everyone knows something.
- Rain does not fall on one roof alone. Meaning: trouble comes to everyone at one time or the other.
- A roaring lion kills no game. Meaning: you cannot gain anything by sitting around talking about it, You must get up and work for it.
- Do not look at where you fell but where you slipped. Meaning: don’t look at the mistakes; look at what caused the mistakes.
- Knowledge is as a garden, if it’s not cultivated, no flowers or fruits will develop. Meaning: if you don’t use the knowledge you have, you will not gain anything.
- Only a fool tests the depth of water with both legs. Meaning: it isn’t wise to jump into a situation without thinking over it.
- Life is as a shadow and mist. It passes away once, and is no more. Meaning: life is short and no second chance.
- Advice is least headed when most needed. Meaning: when problem is serious people don’t mostly heed to advice.
- All good things comes to those who wait. Meaning: patience brings reward.
- All work no play makes Jack a dull boy. Meaning: everyone needs a certain amount of relaxation, Its not good to work all the time.
- Anger is made best by delay. Meaning: when you are angry, its better not to act immediately.
- An idle brain is the devil’s workshop. Meaning: when you work you avoid temptations.
- An empty purse frightens away friends. Meaning: when one’s financial situation deteriorates, friends disappear.
- A bad Workman blames his tools. Meaning: blaming the tool for bad workmanship is a lack of skills.
- A burnt child dreads the fire. Meaning: a bad experience will make people stay away from certain things.
- A friend in need is a friend indeed. Meaning: someone can help you when you are in need.
- A fault confessed is half addressed. Meaning: confession is the beginning of forgiveness.
- A fool at forty is a fool forever. Meaning: If a person at forty is not mentally and physically matured, he never will.
- A rising tide lifts all boats. Meaning: speak something that is beneficial to all.
- A leopard cannot change its spots. Meaning: its possible for an evil person to become regenerated and good.
- A rotten Apple spoils the barrel. Meaning: an immoral or dishonest person can influence a group of people.
- A stitch in time saves time. Meaning: it is better to deal with a problem at the early stage, to prevent it from getting worse.
- A rolling stone gathers no moss. Meaning. If a person keeps moving from place to place, nothing is achieved.
72 Thought Provoking Proverbs about Life
Birds of a feather flock together. Meaning: people of the same sort are usually found together.
Blood is thicker than water. Meaning: family relationship are stronger than relationship with other people.
Familiarity brings contempt. Meaning: knowing someone very well may bring a lack of respect.
Experience is the father of wisdom. Meaning: experience and knowledge results in better judgment.
Every man is the architect of his fortune. Meaning: life is what you make it
Fools rush into where eagles fear to trend. Meaning: inexperienced people go into places were intelligent people would not.
Give someone an inch and they will take a mile. Meaning: give someone little and they would want more.
Great oaks grow from little acorns. Meaning: large and successful operations can begin in a small way.
Give someone a little rope and he will hang himself. Meaning: give someone enough time and freedom and they will get into trouble.
He who is everywhere is nowhere. Meaning: it’s not good to do many things the same time.
He who pays the Piper calls the tune. Meaning: the person who provides money for something should control how it’s been spent.
He who knows nothing doubts nothing. Meaning: knowledge leads us to make choices.
He laughs best who laugh last. Meaning: don’t express your joy or triumph too soon.
If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either. Meaning: if you try to do two things at the same time, you won’t succeed in doing either of them.
In for a penny, in for a pound. Meaning: if you start something, it better to spend the time or money necessary to complete it.
Ignorance is bliss. Meaning: what you do not know cause no worry or sadness.
It is no use crying over split milk. Meaning: don’t express regret for something that has happened and cannot be remedied.
It is always darkest before the dawn. Meaning: the most difficult time is just before a problem is solved.
Kindness begat kindness. Meaning: if you are kind to people, they will be kind to you.
Action speaks louder than voice. Meaning: what a person does is more important than what they say they will do.
All is well that ends well. Meaning: there is solution to everything even if there is doubt. #Keepsmiling #Lifeisgood Click To Tweet
All days are sort to industry and long to idleness. Meaning: time goes by very slowly when you have nothing to do.
An Englishman’s home is his castle. Meaning: an Englishman’s home is a place where he feels safe enjoys privacy and can do as he wishes.
Anytime means no time. Meaning: if the date of an event remains vague it will never happen.
A broken friendship may be soldered but will never be sound. Meaning: friendship can be rebuilt after a dispute but will never be as strong as before.
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Meaning: it is better to keep what you have than to risk losing it by searching for something better.
A chain is no stronger than its weakest link. Meaning: the strength of a group depends on each individual member.
A fool and his money are soon parted. Meaning: a foolish person spends money carelessly.
A friend to all is a friend to none. Meaning: someone who is a friend to everyone makes none of them feels special.
A good beginning makes a good end. Meaning: if a task is carefully planned, there’s a better chance that it will be done well.
A good conscience is a soft pillow. Meaning: you sleep well when you have nothing to feel guilty about.
Beauty is only skin deep. Meaning: a person’s character is more important than his appearance.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Meaning: different people have different taste.
Better late than never. Meaning: it’s better to do something, even if it’s late, than not to do at all.
Charity begins at home. Meaning: the first duty of a person is to care for his immediate family.
Cleanliness is next to godliness. Meaning: a clean body is just as important as a pure soul.
Clothes do not make the man. Meaning: appearance can be deceiving.
Constant occupation prevents temptation. Meaning: when you work you avoid temptation.
Distance makes the heart grow. Meaning: when you are separated from the person you love, your feelings are even stronger.
Diligence is the mother of good fortune. Meaning: hard work brings reward.
Don’t judge a book by its cover. Meaning: don’t judge by appearance.
Easier said than done. Meaning: what is suggested sound easy but it is more difficult to actually do it.
Empty vessels make the most noise. Meaning: the least intelligent people are often the most talkative.
Elbow grease is the best polish. Meaning: hard work gives the best result.
Every path has its puddle. Meaning: progress is rarely without difficulty.
Every “why” has a “wherefore”. Meaning: there is an explanation for everything.
Experience is the father of wisdom. Meaning: experience and knowledge results in better judgment.
Everything in the garden is rosy. Meaning: everything is satisfaction.
Gardens are not made by sitting in the shade. Meaning: nothing is achieved without effort.
Half a loaf is better than none. Meaning: you should be grateful for something, even if it is not what you wanted.
Hatred is blind to love. Meaning: a person who hates another does not see anything good in that person.
He who plays with the fire gets burnt. Meaning: if you behave in a risky way, you are likely to have problems.
He who wills the end wills the means. Meaning: if you are determining to do something you will find a way.
In times of prosperity, friends are plentiful. Meaning: you have many friends when you have no difficulties.
If a camel get his nose in a tent, his body will follow. Meaning: If you let something intrusive enter your life, your life will be too difficult.
Justice delayed is justice denied. Meaning: if the law is applied too late, there is no justice.
Kill one to warn a hundred. Meaning: warm many by pushing a few.
Learn to walk before you run. Meaning: don’t rush into doing something until you know how to do it.
Least said soonest mended. Meaning: the more discreet you are, the less damage you cause.
Learning is a treasure that follows the owner everywhere. Meaning: education is something you keep forever.
Let bygones be bygones. Meaning: forgive and forget past quarrels.
Lightening never strikes in the same place twice. Meaning: an unusual event is not likely to occur again in exactly the same circumstance.
Like father like son. Meaning: a son behaves like his father.
Love is blind. Meaning: a person in love does not see the faults of the person he or she loves.
Look before you leap. Meaning: consider possible consequences before taking actions.
Man proposes, God disposes. Meaning: our destiny depends on God’s will.
Make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Meaning: produce something good from a poor material.
Marry in haste, repent at leisure. Meaning: if you get married too quickly, you may spend all your life regretting it.
Many hands make light work. Meaning: sharing a work to helping hands makes it easier.
Money is the root of all evil. Meaning: money is the main cause of wrong doing.
Necessity is the mother of inventions. Meaning: the need for something forces people to find a way of obtaining it.
Money does not grow on trees. Meaning: money should not be wasted.
54 Inspirational Proverbs on Lifestyles and Relationship
Need teach a plan. Meaning: necessity will make you find a solution.
Never say die. Meaning: never give up.
No man is an island. Meaning: we all need other people.
No smoke without fire. Meaning: there could be some truth in the roamer.
Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. Meaning: you can’t achieve anything without taking risk.
Once bitten, twice shy. Meaning: after an unpleasant experience people are careful to avoid something similar.
One good turn deserves another. Meaning: you should help someone who helped you.
One man’s meat is another man’s poison. Meaning: people don’t always like the same thing.
One today is worth two tomorrow. Meaning: what you have today is better than what is promised or hoped for.
Only real friends will tell you when your face is dirty. Meaning: Caring friends will tell you the truth.
Opportunity seldom knocks twice. Meaning: don’t miss opportunities that comes your path.
People who live in glass house should not throw stones. Meaning: one should not criticize others for faults similar to one’s own.
Out of sight, out of mind. Meaning: we tend to forget people who are absent.
Practice makes perfect. Meaning: do a thing in such a way that you become use to it.
Pride goes before a fall. Meaning: don’t be too self-confident or proud, something may happen that will make you look foolish.
Prevention is better than cure. Meaning: it’s easy to stop a thing from occurring than to repair the damage caused.
Put all your eggs in one basket. Meaning: risk everything by relying on one plan.
Revenge is sweet. Meaning: there is satisfaction in returning an injury.
Save me from friends. Meaning: friends can be more dangerous than enemies.
Sticks and stones will break my bones but names. Meaning: physical attack will harm me but cruel words will not.
Spare the rod and spoil the child. Meaning: If you don’t punish and correct a child when he is wrong, he will develop a wrong character.
Still water runs deep. Meaning: a quiet person may have much knowledge or wisdom.
Stolen fruit is the sweetest. Meaning: what is forbidden is the most tempting.
The best advice is found in the pillow. Meaning: after a good night sleep we may find answers to our problems.
The apple does not fall far from the tree. Meaning: children resemble their parents.
The devil looks after its own. Meaning: success comes to those who deserve it least.
The die has been cast. Meaning: the decision has been made and it’s impossible to change it.
The first step is the hardest. Meaning: the most difficult thing is to begin.
The end justifies the means. Meaning: wrong or unfair methods may be used if the result of the actions is good.
The more haste, the more speed. Meaning: a person makes more progress if he does thing less quickly.
The proof of pudding is in the eating. Meaning: the real value of something can be judged only after it has been tried and tested.
The pen is mightier than the sword. Meaning: words and communications have more effects than wars and fighting.
The road to hell is paved with good intention. Meaning: it is not enough to think about doing something; you just have to do it.
The tongue warns more than a lance. Meaning: insult can be more hurtful than physical injury.
The wish is father to thought. Meaning: you think that something is true because you want it to be so.
The way to man’s heart is through his stomach. Meaning: feed a man well and he will love you.
There is a black sheep in every flock. Meaning: there is always one who doesn’t behave like others.
Time has wings. Meaning: time goes by quickly.
There is safety in numbers. Meaning: being in a crowd makes you feel more confident.
Time and tides waits for no man. Meaning: delaying a decision will not prevent events from taking place.
Too many Cook spoil the broth. Meaning: if too many people are involved in something, it will not be done properly.
Truth is a stranger to fiction. Meaning: in real life scenario, certain events are peculiar or strange than fictions.
Virtue is its own reward. Meaning: you should not expect praise for acting in a moral way.
Variety is the spice of life. Meaning: doing a lot of different things makes life more interesting.
Walls have ears. Meaning: be careful, people could be listening.
What the eyes does not see, the heart doesn’t grieve over. Meaning: if a person doesn’t know about something, it cannot hurt him.
When a man says drunk, he thinks sober. Meaning: people speak more freely under the influence of alcohol.
What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals. Meaning: people are less discreet under the influence of alcohol.
When in Rome, do as the Romans. Meaning: you should adopt the custom of the people and behave the same way.
When the cat is away the mice play. Meaning: people misbehave when their boss is absent.
Where there is a will, there is a way. Meaning: a person with determination will find a way of doing something.
Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. Meaning: worrying over small details can make them seem worse.
Who makes himself a sheep will be eaten by wolves. Meaning: an easily influenced person can be misled. #BewiseClick To Tweet
Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s. Meaning: pay your tax and obey the constitution and laws of your state.
59 Inspirational African Proverbs
The lizard that nods its head for the downfall of others will fall down and die. Meaning: He that plan evil will reap evil.
The frowning of a goat does not stop it from being priced. Meaning: complain will not stop what will happen from happening.
That the tiger prow alone quietly doesn’t mean that it is timid. Meaning: stop judging people by their faces, because you do not know their inner nature.
A cockroach cannot boast before a cock. Meaning: everything knows it worth or limitations.
The chameleon says it believes in unity, which is why it cooperates with any color it comes in contact with. Meaning: when you associate with different persons you will have different experiences that will make you to strive for greater heights.
If the sun says it has power over the moon, let it come and shine at night. Meaning: everything has its area of importance.
The monkey that wants to see the hunters face will one day receive a bullet in its face. Meaning: avoid trouble as soon as you sense it.
Those who have their palm kernel cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not laugh at the misfortune of others. Meaning: be happy that you are opportune to be successful, but that should not give you the right to laugh at those who have not made it.
The shell of a tortoise is not a threat to the gorilla. Meaning: everything knows its ability as long as they both live together.
A man who can’t take good care of himself should not get married. Meaning: do not accept a responsibility that you can’t bear.
Ignorance makes the rat to call the cat for a battle. Meaning: what you don’t know can get you into trouble.
A monkey woke up one morning and discovered that all the trees in the forest have fallen, the monkey said, one day the herbs will grow. Meaning: encourage yourself in the time of difficulty
Do not eat what your body cannot digest. Meaning: Avoid doing things that will earn you nothing. #workhard #worksmart #workwellClick To Tweet
The one that beats a drum for a mad man is not better than the mad man. Meaning: when you advise a person to continue the evils he is doing, you are considered as the one doing it.
Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Meaning: it is not only the poor that suffer hard times, the rich also have problems.
The evil that men do live after them. Meaning: there are rewards to every evil done.
Kola nut last long in the mouth of those who value it. Meaning: he that knows the value of something takes care of it.
A cow doesn’t know the importance of its tail until its cut off. Meaning: learn to appreciate what you have, when you lose it, it’s value will dawn on you.
The nodding of a lizard does not mean that all is well with it. Meaning: the smiles on some people’s face don’t mean that all is going fine.
A tree cannot make a forest. Meaning: unity brings great achievements.
He that eats eggs doesn’t know that the hen passed through pain before laying the eggs. Meaning: people do not regard what they don’t labor for, only the wise does.
A barking dog will soon bite. Meaning: we should understand warnings before it happens.
It’s better to teach someone how to fish and not how to eat fish. Meaning: it’s better to show someone the road to success than to give him the result of your struggle.
All that glitters is not gold. Meaning: be careful, some things that appear to be good are dangerous.
A rabbit does not run in the day for nothing. Meaning: anything that happens has a reason.
He that drags a goat into a market square must enter that market. Meaning: anybody who wants to put his neighbor in trouble will also fall into the trouble.
Procrastination is a grave in which opportunities are buried. Meaning: many people have missed their chance of success because of postponement.
When a piece of soap stays long in a leaf, the leaf becomes soap. Meaning: a person needs to be familiar with a thing to succeed.
When a lion dies, another takes it place. Meaning: the death of a leader does not stop one from coming up.
Kola nut is given to those who know its value. Meaning: help is given to those who value it.
When a lizard falls from the top of a tree, it nods its head in admiration. Meaning: appreciate what you are and can do.
Wills made by the dead are changed by the living. Meaning: nothing is permanent.
A tree that doesn’t know how to dance will be taught by the wind.
After the monkey had eaten the banana, it decided to challenge its owner for wrestling. Meaning: the devil does not regard good things.
The slow movement of a tiger is not a mistake but a calculated accuracy. Meaning: humility is not foolishness but a preferred way of being the best.
When a girl is dancing, the spectators will tell best if she is dancing well. Meaning: a good man deeds will be accounted by the people around.
A lizard that stops his father’s funeral should get ready to carry the corps on his head. Meaning: a troublemaker should prepare for the risk
The age of Methuselah has nothing to do with the Wisdom of Solomon. Meaning: age doesn’t determine maturity.
Rome was not built in a day and all the builders were not Romans. Meaning: wealth cannot be acquired in a day.
It’s not the number of farms a man cultivates that makes him a farmer but the number of tubers of yams he has in storage. Meaning: it’s not the hard work that matters but the result of the diligence.
A thousand kilometers begins with a step. Meaning: a gradual sowing brings great success.
The goat should not visit a sick lion; otherwise it will pay for it. Meaning: don’t experiment with what you know is dangerous.
He who dives into a river hardly realized that his back is open. Meaning: there is no secret that cannot be uncovered.
A foolish bird doesn’t hide her chickens after a hawk has snatched one of them. Meaning: ignorance kills.
It’s only a mad man that will go to bed with his roof on fire. Meaning: it takes foolishness to commit suicide.
The axe that contents with the rock will experience a blunt edge. Meaning: any creature that tries to outweigh the creator will be brought to ruin.
A stumble may prevent a fall. Meaning: correcting a small mistake will help you avoid a bigger one.
A smooth sea never makes a skilled mariner. Meaning: overcoming adversity leads to competence.
A tree is know by it fruits. Meaning: a man is known by his actions.
A swallow does not make a summer. Meaning: one good event does not mean that all is well.
Bad news travels fast. Meaning: people tend to circulate bad news very fast.
Dead men tell no tales. Meaning: a person cannot cause difficulty by revealing a secret issue.
Better flatter a fool than fight him. Meaning: it’s better to avoid dispute with stupid people
Better loose the saddle than the horse. Meaning: it’s better to stop and accept a small lost, rather than continuing and losing everything.
Discretion is the better part of valor. Meaning: it is useless to take unnecessary risks.
Don’t bark if you can’t bite. Meaning: don’t complain if you can’t explain your point or motion.
Dogs of the same street bark alike. Meaning: people of the same background have the same behavior.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Meaning: there is a positive and hopeful side to every unpleasant situation.
Don’t count your chicks before they are hatched. Meaning: you must not be too confident that something will be successful.
if you like this post, please comment